Thursday 1 August 2013

Room designing for baby

When I was pregnant with my little man I spent many conscious and subconscious hours designing how his room was going to look.  Having been to a number of Nature Kindergarten professional development sessions with Claire Warden and Nikki Buchanan I was very conscious of the fact that I wanted his room to have a calming effect.  It had to be a "natural" space where his imagination could wander.  Being a bit of a "greenie" myself I also wanted him to appreciate his space, the things he had in it and not to be overstimulated with too many toys or colours.  I wanted him to enjoy and be able to see the amazing scene that plays out on the other side of his window - trees, chickens, flower gardens and often kangaroos and ducks waddling around.  I love handmade things and I was determined to make some of the elements that made up his room.  The two main things that I made myself were his mobile and his curtains.  I'll show you more about these and how I created them in later posts.




My ideas were complicated by the fact that there was only one wall in the room that did not have a window or door.  There were no permanent cupboards in the room either.  The room also had to be suitable for a boy or girl baby as we wanted a surprise as to the sex of our baby on our birthing day.  we ended up going to IKEA for most of the furniture in the room and came up with a few tricky solutions to best utilise the small space that we had available.  This is just the introduction to my baby room design blogging.  Stay tuned for some more detailed posts on how and the reasons why I designed my baby's room in this way.


No comments:

Post a Comment